Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Scottish Side of Serena




Hi readers, My name is Serena Gibson.
I appreciate you stopping by, to read what I learned about my last name, which I though was just a plain OL last name that was very common until I found whats written below.

 Gibson is an English and Scottish surname.

The name is a patronymic form of the common to type my last name in to see what results I get. I never new what origin my last name came from miaeval personal name Gib, which is a short form of Gilbert.


 The name Gilbert was very popular in Great Britain in the Middle Ages. Variant forms of the surname include Gibsoun, Gipson, Gibbson, Gibbons, Gilson, Gibb, and Gibby amongst others. 

date=September 2010 The personal name Gilbert, which was introduced into England by followers of William the Conqueror after the Norman Invasion of 1066.

 The Norman name was originally found as Gislebert or Gillebert, and is composed of the Germanic elements Gisil, meaning "hostage" or "noble youth", and berht, meaning "bright" or "famous". Gilbert became a very popular given name in England during the Middle Ages..

No comments:

Post a Comment